Economic & Financial Consulting | Consultant - Financial Analytics and Risk Management
Company: FTI Consulting
Education: Postgraduate degree
About Economic and Financial Consulting at FTI Consulting
FTI is a global business advisory firm with a network of more than 4,800 employees in 28 countries. Our services are organised into five business segments: EFC, Forensic and Litigation Consulting, Corporate Finance/Restructuring, Strategic Communications and Technology. Our stock is listed on the NYSE (ticker: FCN) and in 2013 our revenues were over USD1.6 billion.
Part of the Economic Consulting segment, our Economic and Financial Consulting (EFC) practice provides law firms, companies and government agencies with analyses of complex economic and financial matters to assist them in understanding the issues and opportunities they face. We have been involved in a wide range of engagements drawing on our economics, finance and accounting expertise. We provide critical insight and expert testimony in legal and regulatory proceedings, strategic decision-making and public policy debates. We also have extensive expertise in valuation, intellectual property, and matters arising in securities litigation and international arbitration.
In Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), we have teams based in London, Paris, Copenhagen and Dubai who work closely with teams in New York, Singapore and Toronto. The London team comprises 94 professional staff.
What we do
We advise decision-makers in diverse circumstances: in all types of disputes, including the measurement of financial remedies; in the context of transactions to buy and sell businesses, securities and commodities; in similar transactions in, or transactions to licence or otherwise exploit, intellectual property and other intangible assets; in decisions to price, invest, divest or restructure; in the economic assessment of performance; and in the setting of policy, or the assessment of its effects. Our services include:
We advise on value in a wide variety of situations including: matters of economic damage, post-transaction disputes, professional negligence, group restructurings, financial reporting and acquisitions and disposals.
We help clients understand and maximise the value of their intellectual property rights, and act as experts before courts and tribunals in intellectual property infringements, licensing, copyright and transfer-pricing disputes.
We use economic analysis, econometrics and network modelling to analyse issues of pricing, valuation and risk management that occur across the spectrum of regulated industries.
Accountancy and financial reporting
We advise on accountancy and financial reporting issues and provide opinions on liability and remedy issues in cases involving fraud and false accounting, breach of contract or warranty disputes. We assess the relevance and reliability of information obtained from financial records and reports.
We advise companies and government agencies on the effect of proposed or actual policies on companies, industry sectors or the economy as a whole.
Financial Analytics and Risk Management
See the Job description.
I – The role
The advertised role sits within the Financial Analytics and Risk Management team of the EFC segment of FTI (see details about EFC in the Appendix). The team provides advisory services to clients and supports lawyers and regulators with technical advice in the context of disputes and investigations. Our client base includes financial institutions such as investment banks, brokerage firms and investment managers and funds. In addition, we provide advice to energy companies and other corporates. The engagements we undertake focus on valuation, risk management and contentious and regulatory issues arising from complex investments.
Our team members have advanced degrees in quantitative subjects and hold various professional qualifications. We combine in-house modelling, industry leading software packages and an extensive market database to deploy a state-of-the-art approach to today’s markets.
We bring deep expertise in the field of quantitative analysis and collaborate with leading experts affiliated to FTI including Dr Paul Wilmott and Professor Wim Schoutens.
Our advisory services
Our advisory services encompass valuation, analytics and risk management at the transaction and portfolio level across all major asset classes in various contexts.
We provide independent valuations with a particular emphasis on complex financial transactions, illiquid securities and derivatives. We also build custom models for clients in a variety of programming languages to fit their analytics requirements.
We support our clients in quantifying, monitoring, reporting and managing their risk (credit, operational, market or liquidity risk) on an ad-hoc or regular basis. We have the ability to tailor our platform to meet our clients’ business needs and help them comply with their regulatory requirements, risk culture and governance framework.
We provide rigorous and transparent analysis to support expert testimony across all major asset classes and products. Our work stands up to the scrutiny of regulators, financial market supervisory bodies, courts, arbitration tribunals and parties in mediation in the UK and internationally.
II - What the role involves
Consultants are responsible for the delivery of sub work streams within projects either individually or working with others. They also direct, supervise and review the work conducted by more junior team members and are involved in the analysis and research and assist in the preparation of reports.
Consultants are expected to take the lead on research and other synthesis of information; managing and carrying out quantitative, industry and market analysis; and reporting their findings in a clear, concise and structured manner. More specifically the role will involve:
- pricing financial derivatives or structured products in the context of advisory or litigation assignments using proprietary models as well as standard valuation platforms;
- developing proprietary valuation models for new structures/products;
- assisting in the production of presentations, memorandums and reports and the presentation of findings and conclusions to project managers and clients;
- attending meetings with clients;
- taking responsibility for discrete parts of projects and ensuring the data relied upon is robust and appropriate;
- assisting in writing proposals, articles and papers for academic publications and conferences; and
- personal development through the completion of a relevant professional qualification (e.g. CFA, CAIA, FRM) and various in-house trainings.
III - Who we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate with 2 to 4 years of experience in a quantitative finance and risk management related background. This challenging role would require a self-motivated candidate who has gained experience in the pricing and valuation of financial instruments and their related derivatives. The candidate should also have a good understanding of the global financial markets and financial products as well as regulation.
Qualifications and experience
The qualifications and experience that we typically look for in Consultant candidates specialising in Financial Services are:
- Education level: BA/BSc in a quantitative subject, advanced degrees (MBA, MSc, PhD) advantageous;
- Professional experience: 2 to 4 years relevant professional experience in a valuation or risk management function;
- Certifications: having obtained (or partially completed) a relevant professional qualification (e.g. CFA, CAIA, FRM) advantageous; and
- References from former employers or a proven track record of success.
Knowledge and competencies
Suitable candidates should demonstrate:
- an excellent understanding of how to value/price financial instruments and their related derivatives (e.g. equity, fixed income, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, interest rates) as well as global financial market policies and regulations;
- strong financial modelling skills and experience in designing, coding and implementing pricing/valuation frameworks;
- experience in mathematical analysis in programming languages/packages (e.g. R Studio, C/C++, Mathematica or Matlab), knowledge of database systems and financial data providers (e.g. Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters) and experience with valuation software (e.g. FinCAD, Superderivatives)
- excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel/VBA, Word and PowerPoint)
- strong analytical skills: ability to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical manner, think critically and independently and willingness to challenge assumptions;
- high attention to detail and organisation, whilst delivering under tight deadlines across multiple projects;
- both an eye for the big picture, and for detail; and
- clear verbal and written communication skills.
- team spirit, autonomy and confidence in taking the lead on the research aspects of projects
FTI Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Company: FTI Consulting
Education: Postgraduate degree