Mercer is a global consulting leader in talent, health, retirement, and investments. Mercer helps clients around the world advance the health, wealth, and performance of their most vital asset – their people. If you thrive on challenge, are passionate about delivering quality service, love solving problems, and truly enjoy connecting with people, we encourage you to explore the many job opportunities available through Mercer. Mercer is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies (NYSE: MMC), a global team of professional services companies offering clients advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy, and human capital. MMC has over 57,000 employees worldwide and annual revenue exceeding $13 billion. For more information, visit www.mercer.com or follow Mercer on Twitter @MercerInsights.Responsible for designing, creating, supporting, and maintaining databases and ensuring their performance, availability, and security in order to provide a stable database environment for the various business units and clients.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position requires the individual to perform the following database related tasks and support functions:
- Ability to install, maintain, and upgrade Oracle RDBMS software.
- Build, administer, and maintain production and non-production 11g/12c database environments.
- Consult with application and development teams on database design and usage
- Perform database backup and recovery.
- Install, maintain, and upgrade RDBMS high availability solutions such as Oracle Data Guard and RAC
- Pro-actively monitor, tune, and troubleshoot production and non-production databases to ensure high availability and optimum performance.
- Work closely and effectively with users and developers to troubleshoot various database related issues
- Provide technical assistance and recommendations to SQL developers to streamline code
- Interface with other central organizations to improve and implement process, procedures, and automation
- Responsible for implementation and release of database changes as submitted by the development team
- Facilitate database Change Management procedures.
- Responsible for problem reporting, escalation, and resolution via Oracle Support and other third party vendors
- Mentoring and knowledge transfer to other DBA’s
- Provide off-hour and on-call database support?
- Proven Oracle database administration experience with multiple database versions (Oracle 11g and 12c).
- In depth knowledge and hands on experience in database disciplines including, logical and physical database design, database implementation, access optimization, storage management, performance management, database architecture principles and practices, and database administration.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of database internals and data structures.
- Strong practical experience in database performance monitoring, tuning, and capacity planning.
- Ability to decipher complex SQL structures and provide performance enhancing recommendations to development teams.
- Excellent troubleshooting abilities to identify root cause of database related issues and the ability to resolve them quickly
- Proficiency in database backup and recovery methodologies (RMAN)
- Proficiency in Oracle installations, patching, support, and troubleshooting.
- Proficiency with RDBMS tools such as SQL*Plus, PL/SQL Developer, Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Proficiency with database and application high availability architectures.
- Experience with other database systems, preferably SQL Server.
- Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems and shell scripting are required.
- Experience with Cognos, Business Objects, Informatica, Erwin, and Autosys is a plus
- Ability to work effectively in either a team or individual contributor environment..
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a focus on delivery, responsiveness, ownership, and accountability.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and client-facing skills. Ability to understand and effective communicate technical database concepts to a business audience.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation or beliefs.
Education: Undergraduate degree