Business Manager Role - London
We are looking to recruit a Business Manager for our London Market, within our Retirement Business supporting around 100 employees. This is an exciting role, where the job holder will be in a position to help shape, influence and develop our business strategy to support key strategic projects and change programmes to deliver future business growth.
As a Business Manager, you will play a pivotal operational role, focusing on leading operational issues and the monitoring and delivery of business performance through ongoing management of our London market.
The role involves significant operations management with a focus on managing financial performance against agreed financial targets, alongside managing day to day people and process issues in order to achieve the local and UK business plans and support ongoing business growth.
The Business Manager will work in close partnership with the relevant Consulting Leader, other Business Managers, the COO and Central Operations in addition to leveraging relationships to support the effective achievement of the business goals.
Key duties include the following:
- Provide effective leadership in order to achieve financial and performance management for all agreed targets for the London Market
- Achieve revenue targets including management of write offs, WIP, pricing decisions and debt.
- Managing and continually looking for improvements in profitability to maximise NOI, this includes improving fixed fee recovery, increasing profit margins and prudentl management of expenses.
- Managing utilization in line with budgets, taking a strategic term view in managing resources, for example, by using resources across markets/SGs, working closely with the RSC and managing hiring in line with budget.
- Lead, coach, influence and develop talent, accountable for ensuring effective performance management at all levels in market/SG, both as a people manager and through effective delegation to local people managers.
- Working in partnership with London Consulting Leader to deliver against strategic people plan including managing engagement, reward, communication, diversity and talent plans.
- Responsible for local roll out and ongoing management of financial and non-financial processes such as Peer Review, E&O, FAS and MercerForce.
- Supporting the Consulting Leader to manage sales in the pipeline process in line with growth plans.
- Deliver against strategic operational business goals through taking ownership and accountability of assigned national projects to support ongoing continuous improvement.
Knowledge/skills and Behavioural requirements:
- Solid Educational Background - Bachelor degree in Business or related field.
- General Management - Extensive experience in a business / commercial and financial related environment. Thorough understanding of finance, systems and people related processes.
- Knowledge of Retirement Consulting environment.
- Capacity Building - Ability to manage and guide people within an operations environment, able to build and develop a high performing, diverse performing workforce.
- Leadership – Strong management skills and capability for managing and leading people, with strong written and communication skills and a strong team player.
- Influencing - Ability to establish relationships with key stakeholders to lead and influence to achieve business objectives.
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals, evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis with strong excel skills, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen, ability for problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Strategic Vision and ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into local business plan
- Action Oriented - enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation or beliefs.