FS Research Analyst
Education: Undergraduate degree
Benefits: up to £32,500 depending on skills + benefits
Accenture Researchers provide data, analysis and insights to Accenture, working closely with the senior executives in each of the industries, geographies and businesses. We work in four main areas:
- New business opportunities: helping Accenture understand markets and companies and identifying ways in which we can help clients become high-performance businesses and governments. A typical analysis might be an in-depth company diagnostic to look at a company’s financial and strategic health or an overview of a sector of the market to identify trends or assess the impact of regulation, mergers and other landmark events.
- Working directly with clients: about 20% of our research is on client engagements where we work alongside our colleagues from the practice to provide research and industry expertise. Typical work with our clients might be to benchmark a capability or function; to provide best practices in an industry; or project future trends and their likely impact on the business.
- Developing points of view: Accenture needs original, cutting-edge points of view to use with clients, the media and in conferences. Accenture Research helps create and write those viewpoints. Many of our projects are published and quoted in the press. Others form the basis for our issue-driven discussions with clients. In all cases the Manager will be expected to contribute research, writing and thought leadership to these projects.
- Practice enablement: developing periodic newsletters and management reports which provide fresh insights on the Technology space for our leadership and consultants so that they can understand client performance and the issues clients currently face.
Successful research is not a back-office activity; it requires people who not only have strong research skills but who also have a client-focused mentality and an outgoing and confident personal style. Successful researchers build deep relationships with their peers and senior executives in the practice and work as a team, sometimes responding to requests and sometimes proposing (and selling) research ideas.
- Execute the overall strategy, focus and priorities for his/her geo-focused research program, in consultation with other stakeholders and colleagues, and with input from the Global Technology Research Team Lead.
- Build effective relationships with Technology executives based in his/her geo (Marketing, Sales, Delivery, etc.) to ensure sponsorship, budget and utilization of research services.
- Perform complex research across technology topics and businesses. This includes in-depth research on geographic and/or horizontal segment trends, competitors, industry market trends and issues, and relevant technology topics utilizing a number of available sources.
- Work closely with other research colleagues based in his/her geo in order to remain vigilant regarding Technology-related opportunities within their sectors and countries as well as resourcing needs.
- Determine required project resources and costs and negotiate with customer. Oversee research projects, ensuring budget constraints and project record keeping requirements are observed. Define and manage the quality and quantity of research services.
- Actively participate in general secondary research initiatives, e.g. participating in Research workgroups at local, regional or global level etc.
- Contributing to the development of research assets that differentiate Accenture Research in the market, e.g., forecasting of market trends, modelling of survey data to size markets, impact evaluation of digital innovation, etc.
- Deepening and refining our expertise in emerging technologies sources and subject matter (issues and trends) that are relevant.
- Helping develop more junior researchers to position them to meet client demand
A proven track record of market and competitor intelligence projects in new and emerging technology areas would be a definite advantage.
This FS Analyst role is in our Financial Services Research team of 50 researchers worldwide. The successful applicant will work directly with local and global colleagues to support the needs of the UKI FS practice. Responsibilities will include carrying out research projects and actively contributing to more complex projects led by others. Research requests will favour local projects, both for internal Accenture strategy and directly for Accenture clients. However, while it is assumed the researcher will focus on Financial Services projects, there may be occasions in which they will work on projects outside of their core industry or geography.
We are looking for someone with knowledge and research skills particularly in the Banking and/or Insurance industries who will be able to build on the expertise we have established in our team over a number years. The position is based in our team in London, consisting of a senior manager who leads a cross-FS team of three research managers aligned to Banking, Insurance and Capital Markets.
Research requests will largely be in support of local projects, both for Accenture, internally, and directly for Accenture clients. On any given day, you will support research needs relevant to core UKI FS themes. These might include supporting the analysis of FS firms’ financial results, looking into the strategies of domestic and global FS institutions, assessing the impact of innovation or new regulation on players in the FS market, or investigating competitor trends and changing customer behaviours.
We are looking for someone who has a comprehensive skill set:
- Research skills: able to take an issue and turn it into a researchable question; able to scope the research effort and cost it accurately; able to use most (but not necessarily all) research techniques such as secondary database searching, company analysis, market analysis, strategic analysis frameworks, multivariate statistical modelling, interview-based research and financial analysis. Researchers must also be detail-oriented and follow quality assurance procedures.
- Analytical ability: we want researchers who can draw out the implications of the research they do and tell a compelling, business-focused story about the data that is relevant to Accenture’s business and clients. We are looking for insight, not just information.
- Teaming and communication skills: our team will be very much a virtual one and you will need to have excellent English verbal and written communication skills as well as the ability to work with colleagues from different cultures and in different locations around the world. Experience of work on the telephone or in a remote team would be highly advantageous. You must be able to work in PowerPoint and Excel (knowledge of Tableau is an advantage), and create well-structured, clearly written presentations with graphs and charts where necessary.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility: many of our customers are senior-level leaders within the company and it is vital that we are able to rapidly establish our expertise and our professionalism. Researchers should be polished and confident, and able to clearly and concisely articulate a point of view. Researchers should be able to present their research findings to customers, and defend their insights. They should also have the ability to work independently and with limited supervision on a day to day basis
- Flexibility: in the first years, the analyst will be asked to respond to research questions in various areas of Financial Services, and sometimes on cross-industry projects. This will involve working with multiple research managers. Curiosity and flexibility will be key to your success.
- Ideally, a passion for and understanding of the financial services industry: understanding of key industry trends and challenges; the value chain and how banks and insurers bring products and services to the market; company financial value drivers; key players; opportunities in developed and emerging markets; and consumer trends.
Accenture is a leading global professional services company, providing a broad range of services and solutions in strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations. Combining unmatched experience and specialized skills across more than 40 industries and all business functions—underpinned by the world’s largest delivery network—Accenture works at the intersection of business and technology to help clients improve their performance and create sustainable value for their stakeholders. With approximately 373,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries, Accenture drives innovation to improve the way the world works and lives. Visit us at www.accenture.com.
Please also note that Accenture is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of society and does not discriminate on grounds of race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Closing date for applications 20 May 2016. Accenture reserve the right to close the role prior to this should a suitable applicant be found.
Education: Undergraduate degree
Benefits: up to £32,500 depending on skills + benefits