Senior Operations and Logistics Consultant
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees and their dependants, with no shareholders or external investors to determine our own business priorities and direction.
The Operations team provides advice on operational requirements to help our clients deliver operational efficiencies in their organisations as well as existing and proposed buildings. This can cover aspects around how to build a winning team through to the design of manufacturing operations using tools such as lean and six sigma. It can also include providing operations and logistics advice to multidisciplinary masterplanning and building projects.
Our clients are public and private organisations, examples of our current/recent projects with whom include developing the operations requirements and delivering urban logistics projects for major technology companies and new developments in San Francisco, Dubai and London, implementing operational readiness programmes for airports across the world, providing design and operational delivery advice for the 2020 Dubai Expo, Great Ormond Street Hospital and helping Rolls Royce and Jaguar Land Rover in the delivery of new facilities.
The Operations team is recruiting a Senior Operations Consultant who has experience in operations, logistics and or supply chain, who is keen to develop their career in a growing team. You will have strong analytical skills and be experienced at developing and presenting business proposals, in addition to developing and delivering transport and logistics optimisation solutions and innovation, process mapping and process improvement projects (for example in areas such as distribution and automation). You will understand the concept of operating models for organisations, developments or cities and will have the ability to develop new models. It would be beneficial if you have experience of analysing people’s roles and competencies required to deliver an operating model.
There will be plenty of opportunity to demonstrate your skills and experience as well as developing new skills on a wide range of interesting and challenging projects. There is also the opportunity to gain broad experience in the varied activities of the group, in line with the individual's career development.
You will work in design or client teams, probably with a broad range of other experts such as engineers and architects, to evaluate and/or develop optimised logistics and operations solutions for a variety of projects. The majority of projects will be linked to operations in large new developments and cities, particularly around logistics, and we work across multiple sectors such as transport, aviation, manufacturing and healthcare. This will include:
- Reviewing and developing logistics strategies for masterplans and developments
- Evaluating the logistics requirements using some of our in house tools, such as logistics vehicle calculations, waste volumes and material handling evaluations
- Developing transport and logistics optimisation solutions e.g. consolidation, supply chain improvements
- Designing logistics areas such as loading bays, material handling areas, storage rooms and waste management rooms
- Providing design advice for various design stages, including feasibility, design, planning, post-planning, operational planning, operational readiness and operation.
- Process mapping and identification of process improvements including application of continuous improvement/lean tools
- Developing operational processes, equipment requirements and staffing levels
- Asset management and performance improvement
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Project management
- Benefits analysis
- Environmental impact
This input can make a significant impact to the design requirements and operational viability of some new developments. Our operations consultants therefore usually get involved at a very early stage of the design process to ensure that our clients’ operational requirements are fully understood and embedded in the design process.
We are very keen for our staff to work across teams and across sectors to provide a broad range of experience across our work in Operations Consulting.
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Experience gained in one of: transport/logistics/supply chain; or an operations role
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to understand forecast demand
- Ability to demonstrate client relationship management and networking skills
- Experienced at developing and presenting business proposals
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A track record of successful project delivery
- Self-motivated, able to work with minimal supervision and to strict deadlines
- Project management skills
- Proficient in MS Office packages
- Degree or equivalent
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, combined with one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. You will also have access to a grade related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two profit share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.