Human Factors Consultants
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world. As a wholly independent organisation, we are owned in trust for the benefit of our employees with no shareholders or external investors we determine our own business priorities and direction.
Our 45 strong Operations Consulting group, based mostly based in London and Solihull offices, is a multi-disciplinary group bringing together specialist skills in people, processes and assets to deliver excellence to our clients. The group includes a core team of human factors experts and psychologists.
We place strong emphasis on ensuring our approach to human factors is grounded in scientific principles and uses foresight and innovation to shape design and operations of the future and what we do supports good design, safety, resilience and well-being. Rather than wait for problems to arise, we apply human factors early and get involved in the design of buildings, assets and operations to deliver value for our clients.
We have opportunities for experienced human factors consultants at a Senior Consultant and Consultant level to work as part of multi-disciplinary teams and apply specialist skills on a range of exciting client projects across mature market sectors, including transport, energy, water and cities. We provide a world leading environment for ambitious and motivated individuals who have a real passion for human factors and its application within an engineering, design and consultancy environment and at all scales, ranging from the design of control room to cities.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing, collaborative and creative human factors and psychology team and will contribute to a range of exciting and interesting projects, to further develop your consultancy capability and scientist-practitioner skills and deliver successful outcomes for our clients. You’ll be empowered to work autonomously with appropriate support around you.
Key elements of these roles will include:
- Producing and overseeing human factors work outputs to a high technical quality
- Lead and managing packages of work, commercial plans and engaging in general consultant activities
- Working directly with clients and building client relations
- Leading business development activities such as attending client meetings and writing proposals
- Engaging with a range of stakeholders within Arup to help influence other disciplines to understand the value of human factors
- In addition for the Senior Consultant role you will manage projects, teams, skills and service areas
We are looking for people with the following qualities:
- Strong knowledge, skills and experience in the area of human factors
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively
- A collaborative style of working that fosters innovation and team working
- Be driven and motivated to work in a consulting environment, usually to tight client deadlines
- An organised and methodological approach to problem solving and decision-making
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly effective at building and sustaining client relationships
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Typically more than 4 years’ experience (Consultant) or more than 8 years’ experience (Senior Consultant) of working in a consulting environment in the area of human factors.
- Experience of working in high hazard operational sectors such as rail, aviation and energy (a range of sector experience is preferred).
- You will need to demonstrate experience of contributing to and/or leading projects and providing specialist human factors input onto a wide range of projects in a consultancy environment in sectors such as rail, aviation and energy.
- These roles will require you to travel to client sites throughout the UK on a regular basis, which will be determined by the needs of a project, so you will need a full driving license.
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (preferably psychology, human factors or systems engineering, but not essential).
- Relevant MSc in occupational psychology or human factors is preferred.
- Either chartered/registered, or working towards becoming chartered/registered, with the British Psychological Society or Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors.
Desirable Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience of the following human factors methods: task and workload assessment, cognitive ergonomics, physical ergonomics, environmental design, organisational behaviour.
- Experience is also preferred in user experience, control room design and operations, behavioural safety and human factors integration.
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, combined with one of the best benefits package in our sector. Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. You will also have access to a grade related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
We pay competitive rates for freelance consultants, which will be commensurate with the scope of service and the consultant’s profile of experience and capabilities.
How to apply:
Please send your covering email including your CV, location and type of employment preference(s) to email@example.com