Consultant - Economic & Financial Consulting - Financial Services
FTI Consulting is a global business advisory firm that provides multidisciplinary solutions to complex challenges and opportunities. With the full power of unique depth of thought combined with the global expertise of leading professionals, we are committed to protecting and enhancing the enterprise value of our clients.
The Financial Services team is part of FTI’s Economic and Financial Consulting practice. Our range of services provides our clients the fundamental skill set, knowledge and expertise they need to face financial markets challenges in all economic climates post-crisis as well as to solve crisis-related disputes.
We provide advisory, valuation and litigation consulting services to financial institutions, investment firms and law firms on a wide range of capital markets issues in the context of international disputes and litigation. We also assist financial institutions in their responses to investigations by financial market regulators and competition authorities.
The engagements we undertake focus on disputes involving complex capital markets issues, including ISDA close-outs, portfolio unwinds, alleged mis-selling and/or misrepresentations involving financial products/investments, alleged market manipulation and other forms of securities litigation. We also provide advisory and independent valuation services.
What the role involves
Consultants are responsible for the delivery of individual work streams within projects, either working individually or with others, as well as directing, supervising and reviewing the work of less experienced Associates and Research Analysts. Consultants are centrally involved in analysis and the preparation of reports and presenting findings to clients. They are expected to take responsibility for research and other synthesis of information; managing and carrying out quantitative, industry and market analysis; and reporting their findings in a clear, concise and structured manner.
More specifically the role will involve:
- pricing financial derivatives or structured products in the context of advisory or litigation assignments using proprietary models as well as standard valuation platforms ;developing proprietary valuation models for new structures/products, producing presentations, memorandums and reports and presenting findings and conclusions;
- attending meetings with legal teams, banks’ counsels and internal desks (front and middle office mainly), asset managers, private bankers, data contributors and other market participants (exchanges, central counterparties, etc.);
- taking responsibility for parts of projects, managing key resources and responding proactively to client requests;
- assisting in writing proposals, articles and papers for academic publications and conferences;
- researching regulatory frameworks and market practice relevant to specific engagements; and
- managing the team’s market database and research library.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a candidate with proven experience in a financial services related background. This challenging role would require a self-motivated candidate who is experienced in the pricing and valuation of financial instruments and their related derivatives. The candidate should also have broad knowledge of the functioning and regulation of global financial markets.
Suitable candidates will be problem-solvers who are keen on developing and applying bespoke approaches to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical manner. Candidates will have strong analytical skills and be able to explain their work and communicate their conclusions and findings clearly, both orally and in writing. The ideal candidate will have both an eye for the big picture, and for detail.
Qualifications and experience
The qualifications and experience that we typically look for in Consultant candidates specialising in Financial Services are:
- sufficient relevant professional experience to demonstrate the ability to be an EFC Consultant
- Master's level degree in finance mathematics, business or a related subject, with strong knowledge of financial instruments and derivatives, financial markets and financial regulation;
- the CFA, CAIA, FRM or other relevant professional qualification; and
- a proven track record of success.
Knowledge and competencies
In addition, the following competencies are required:
- ability to value/price financial instruments and their related derivatives, across asset classes (equity, fixed income, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, interest rates);
- good knowledge of financial market participants, the markets in which they operate and the authorities that regulate them;
- ability to think critically and independently, and willingness to challenge assumptions;
- strong written and oral communication skills;
- high attention to detail and well organised, whilst delivering under tight deadlines across multiple projects;
- ability to mentor/train junior staff;
- ability to present conclusions of analyses clearly and concisely, both internally and to clients
- excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel/VBA, Word and PowerPoint) and experience in mathematical analysis in languages/packages such as R Studio or Matlab; and
- experience in data manipulation and knowledge of database systems and financial data providers (e.g. Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, etc.)
FTI Consulting can offer a competitive and attractive rewards package, excellent training and development opportunities, a supportive and friendly environment and the opportunity to achieve your potential.