Graduate Actuarial Trainee
Graduate Actuarial Trainee
Do you have strong analytical and communication skills? Are you good with numbers and keen to work in a fast-paced team environment? Do you have what it takes to deliver solutions that have a real impact on the future of major organisations?
Then it’s time to join Mercer as a Graduate Actuarial Trainee.
Mercer are one of the world’s largest providers of talent, health, retirement and investment services. As part of our retirement team, you will help advise both corporate and trustee clients in all areas of pensions consulting including tackling and resolving issues associated with Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution pension schemes.
Mercer offers a rewarding career environment in every sense. We offer private medical cover, a pension scheme, 25 days holiday (with the option to buy or sell up to five days), income protection and a range of other benefits. But even more importantly, we provide you with exceptional training and development opportunities.
Based out of our new Woking office, as a graduate you will begin in September 2014 with an 18-month Graduate Development Programme, starting with a residential course. You will quickly acquire the knowledge and skills to move forward in your career while simultaneously studying to become a qualified actuary through the Institute/Faculty of Actuaries exams.
Alongside your studies, you will also complete a 10 week rotation programme in our Retirement Service Centre in Belfast during your second year. The programme will provide you with a deeper knowledge and understanding of the full pensions valuation process, ensuring you have the technical grounding to become a fully competent actuarial consultant.What’s more, our comprehensive study package will give you the resources and time to succeed at every stage of your development.
Through our structured development programme and on the job training you will be supported, coached and developed into an actuarial retirement consultant with ultimately your own clients. As your progress at Mercer there will be a range of career paths available allowing you to focus on your strengths and interests. These include:
- Becoming a scheme actuary responsible for the actuarial work associated with the pension arrangements of a portfolio of clients
- Becoming a general consultant and overall relationship manager for a portfolio of clients
- Becoming a consultant in one of our speciality groups
- Becoming a business manager or consulting leader
Key duties will include:
- Performing calculations to support corporate, trustee and individual decision making around retirement choices and pension scheme management
- Developing and applying relevant legislation knowledge to client issues
- Communicating effectively to external and internal clients in a non technical manner
- Developing understanding of client needs in order to be able to deliver high standards of client service
- Performing in accordance with financial targets and standards; time recording, budget monitoring, billing and all other aspects of financial management
- Working in partnership and developing relationships with internal teams, across lines of businesses and with both corporate and trustee clients
- Developing coaching and delegation skills
- A minimum of 300 UCAS points obtained in 3 subjects including a numerical A level at a minimum of grade B, with a 2:1 honours degree in a numerical or semi numerical degree (equivalent qualifications are accepted)
- An interest in pensions and financial markets is essential
- A strong customer service focus and desire to work with clients to help them achieve their objectives
- Ability to work in a team with rapidly changing priorities and demands
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to assimilate data, review and solve client issues
- An ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to balance work, study and personal life effectively