Pensions Advisory Manager- Birmingham
BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world's fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements - Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you'll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
The purpose of this role is to provide support to senior colleagues in the provision of Pensions Advisory work to the team’s clients.
Whilst mainly working within a team environment, certain projects may entail working directly for a senior colleague(s) or other defined group. There will be opportunities to continue developing technical skills and knowledge through on the job experience and formal training.
The role will require accounting and business advisory experience, in the context of delivering solutions and advice to clients (both corporate and Trustee) on the risks which they face in relation to their defined benefit pension scheme(s). It will entail investigation and reporting on a company’s financial position, forecasts and corporate transactions.
- Produce, and review Employer Covenant work including investigation and reporting on a company’s financial position, forecasts and corporate transactions and, on occasions, to deputise for senior colleagues, including Partners
- Develop and manage certain client relationships
- Ensure that correspondence, reports and other written output are produced consistent with the Firm’s quality standards as well as internal procedures and external regulatory requirements
- Monitor project costs, identify variances and instigate corrective measures as required
- Manage billing, work in progress and cash collection to minimise lock-up
- There should be a continuing desire to develop expertise in specific areas of the Pension Advisory team’s work and to share knowledge gained with both senior and junior colleagues as appropriate
- Provide support to colleagues on technical issues and be responsible for delivering work of the highest quality
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as delegated
- Provide feedback on work produced by junior (or senior) members of the team on a timely and constructive basis
- Provide training to other members of the team both on the job and through active intervention when learning opportunities arise
Sales and Marketing:
- Be alert to new business and sales opportunities and take the initiative to realise such opportunities when they arise
- Share ideas and initiatives with appropriate colleagues
- Participate in the marketing initiatives of others
- Identify and involve appropriately skilled staff in pursuing new business opportunities
Communication and representation:
- Develop contact with clients / work providers at all levels to ensure the Firm maintains strong working relationships
- Act as a liaison between a client and other specialist service groups within BDO
- Demonstrate a positive attitude towards the Firm and its client service principles
- Chartered Accountant or similar
- Relevant technical and management experience at a similar level. In particular, relevant experience of company accounts and business advice.
- Ability to develop and maintain an in-depth technical knowledge of regulatory and statutory requirements
- Excellent knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint