Tax Consultant - Finance Transaction
BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world's fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements - Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you'll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
This position sits within the Financial Model Assurance team which forms part of the Management Consulting division at BDO. Working in conjunction with the Tax Director, you will provide a combination of corporate tax, compliance assurance and tax advisory support for both project bids and financings. You will demonstrate a methodical approach and an eye for detail, in order to be successful in the involvement in:
- Reviewing and assessing the UK corporate tax calculations and assumptions that have been applied in financial models, typically externally prepared on behalf of project sponsors and lenders and their compliance with tax legislation and standards. These will be typically in respect of primary and secondary market infrastructure projects, for example wind farm, solar energy and similar renewable energy projects, as well as PPP transactions.
- To provide advisory support on UK tax issues in connection with the above projects, including drafting and delivery of detailed assessment reports where required;
- To liaise with clients as in respect of relevant UK tax issues and their potential impact;
- To liaise with BDO overseas offices in reviewing model tax calculations in respect of non-UK projects and;
- To review UK and overseas tax advisory reports prepared by third parties for consistency with the tax calculations applied in the associated financial model (s).
- To assist with the team’s marketing and business development activities
To fulfil the role, you will have excellent communication, problem solving and organisational skills and be able to demonstrate the effective delivery of assignments in an environment, which at times, may require working to tight timetables. Strong working knowledge of current UK corporation tax law is essential and a CIOT/CTA qualification is preferred, although consideration may be given to strong candidates who are currently only part qualified.
Experience in the following areas of tax would be advantageous, but not essential:
- PPP’s/Private Finance Initiative/Project Finance
- Renewable energy projects including wind farms, solar PV and Biomass
- Basic UK VAT rules
- As the role is focussed on UK corporation tax, a relevant accounting and tax qualification is preferable, including a reasonable working knowledge of current UK GAAP/IFRS in relation to the treatment of fixed assets, finance costs and off-balance sheet accounting.
- Proficiency in basic Excel skills is essential.
- Good writing and language skills are essential as the work will involve the production of formal; written reports to be sent to clients and to explain technical tax issues to non-tax people.
Part Time/Full Time
This position is a Fixed Term Contract for 9-12 months, and is offering candidates the option to work between 3-5 days a week.