Public Sector Internal Audit Senior - Part Qualified
BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world's fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements - Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you'll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
An Internal Audit Senior will be required to work closely with, and support senior members within the team. You will manage assignments of moderate complexity and variety, in line with the audit plan and BDO's internal audit methodologies.
- Proficient in applying audit principles, skills and techniques by performing audit tests of varying degrees of complexity.
- Adopt a risk based approach for all audits undertaken.
- Execute a wide variety of audit tests, procedures and accurately interpret results against defined criteria, whilst ensuring the work is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional and departmental standards.
- Apply internal control concepts in a wide variety of settings, and appropriately assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices or the duplication of controls.
- Understanding of local government and/or the NHS and the financial, operational, and compliance risks which effect activities. Demonstrate the ability to identify and appropriately define those risks, and formulate recommendations which are appropriate, practical and cost-effective.
- Develop effective working relationships with public sector clients.
- Consistently document relevant facts and information which support the work performed and conclusions drawn, so other reviewers can follow the auditor's logic in line with the BDO internal audit methodology and quality assurance requirements.
- Effectively evaluate audit results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy, and perspective of conclusions against the accumulated audit evidence.
- Be effective in communicating audit results, both verbally and in writing (will be reviewed by senior members) so they are persuasive, placed in the appropriate context, and understood by the recipient.
- Complete work with limited instructions, yet know when to seek guidance from supervising staff when circumstances warrant.
- Demonstrate effective time management skills by completing assignments within time budgets and calendar schedules while handling multiple tasks.
- Supervise, coach, support and develop junior members of the internal audit team and always share expertise within the team.
- Contribute to, and participate in the growth and development of our team i.e. marketing, networking and business development activities.
- MIIA or CCAB qualified.
- Internal audit experience in the public sector – NHS or local government.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Full driving licence and own car is preferable (flexibility to travel on a regular basis to client sites)