Internal Audit Senior Manager - Advisory (Southampton)
BDO is an award-winning, UK Member Firm of BDO International , the world's fifth largest accountancy network with more than 1,000 offices in over 100 countries, including affiliates. We specialise in helping businesses to achieve their goals and adhere to strong values and a One Firm approach. Our strength in the market place is mirrored in our achievements - Accountancy Age Audit, Tax and Corporate finance team of the year, FT Best Workplaces, highest new entry in Times Top 100 Graduate Employees; to name a few of our recent accolades. Our people work within an extremely supportive and creative environment, and are equipped and empowered to deliver exceptional service. Developing strong, personal relationships with our clients is at the forefront of our service approach and you'll find that BDO is a truly innovative and forward thinking place to work.
As a key member of our Risk & Advisory Services team in the South you will be responsible for leading client engagements and working alongside our Partners and Directors to seek new opportunities to build our client base through proactive business development.
You will be responsible for managing multiple internal audit teams and assignments of high complexity and variety, setting excellent quality standards in order to deliver exceptional service to our clients. You will use your experience and expertise to advise clients on risk management, internal control and governance, as well as improving business efficiency and driving value through advising on projects and initiatives.
You will develop relationships with key targets and pursue potential business development opportunities, supported and guided by Partners and Directors.
- Establish, maintain and build on key relationships both internally and externally
- Manage a client portfolio, ensuring the delivery of high quality audit programmes in line with agreed timescales and budgets
- Deal with and show an understanding of a wider range of clients and client issues.
- Guide the internal audit team in the development of creative, practical and cost-effective recommendations on improvement and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of BDO Internal audit methodologies and quality assurance requirements.
- Review audit files and audit reports, including assessment of the appropriateness of the recommendation.
- Manage own work in progress, debtors, budgeted costs, billing and recovery.
- Exhibit creativity, innovation, and pro-activity in recommending improvements to audit practices , processes and client service, and ensuring those improvements are implemented.
- Lead the team performing the planning and risk assessment exercise and prepare forecasted engagement economics.
- Manage proficiently and effectively ensuring excellent client service.
- Develop Risk Management and Corporate Governance products and practices to support client work.
- Stay abreast of general business/economic developments and new standards. Gain an in depth understanding of their links and impact on the client’s business. Understand and apply technical standards.
- Provide thought leadership on strategies for initiating and conducting high profile negotiations.
- Research competitor offerings and remain up to date with latest thinking in areas of expertise.
- Actively grow the business through seeking and shaping new opportunities both within and outside our client base, ensuring that fee growth is both sustainable and profitable.
- People management responsibilities covering resource planning and allocation, performance management, training and recommendations for promotion. Act as a mentor to team members and provide coaching with a view to assisting them to achieve their personal career goals.
- Relevant internal audit experience at managerial level.
- CCAB / IIA qualified or demonstrates qualification through experience.
- Knowledge of best practice corporate governance and risk management
- Awareness of compliance, legislative and market issues relevant to client businesses.
- Specialist expertise in chosen sectors – preferably a mix of Corporate (Manufacturing, TMT, Retail, Real Estate, Leisure and Hospitality, Natural Resource) and Not for Profit (Education, Social Housing, Charities)
- Excellent problem-solving, relationship-building and communication skills
- Proven ability to grow your portfolio
- Full driving licence and own car is preferable (Flexibility to travel on a regular basis across the South with potential for wider travel including international assignments).