Passionate about Aerospace & Defense? The Advanced Industries sector has been one of McKinsey’s fastest growing sectors. Due to an internal promotion, we now have an exciting new opportunity for a London-based Knowledge Manager to focus on Aerospace and Defense. In this role you will help the sector build on this momentum by assuming a broad set of responsibilities and acting as the “go to” person for all knowledge-related matters in the Practice.
The Advanced Industries (AI) Sector operates as a truly integrated global group and the sector is the focus of approximately 400 Directors, Principals and Associate Principals around the world. Since its creation in March 2010, Advanced Industries has been one of McKinsey’s fastest growing sectors and has made significant inroads across all industry practices and geographic regions.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a London based A&D Knowledge Manager who will help the sector build on this momentum by assuming a broad set of responsibilities and acting as the “go to” person for all knowledge related matters in the Practice. The A&D Knowledge Manager role is a great opportunity for a high-performing, self-motivated individual who wishes to truly leverage their deep-rooted passion and knowledge of Aerospace & Defense .
As Knowledge Manager, you will assist and guide leadership to help fulfill their aspirations and objectives, as well as to develop, manage and disseminate Aerospace & Defense’s knowledge. This goal will be achieved by working closely with our global leaders across our AI practice. Working at this level, you will have the opportunity to establish yourself as an indispensable member of the team, whose judgment, oversight and insights into practice matters are greatly valued by the leadership and contribute to the overall success of the global AI sector.
Key responsibilities are as follows:
1. Knowledge Strategy & Management:
- Collaborate with the A&D leaders, AI Knowledge Committees, and AI Regional Practice Managers to shape the sector's overall knowledge strategy, architecture, and relevant processes to drive the A&D knowledge agenda and oversee knowledge building initiatives
- Identify knowledge gaps and new trends within the A&D domain. Coordinate practice knowledge development
- Build and manage practice knowledge infrastructure
- Lead development of qualifications materials, primers, white papers, reference cases and engagement debriefs.
- Track external publications, initiatives and significant trends across the A&D sector
- Support the Editorial Board of McKinsey on Defense, our bi-annual publication, in selecting and shaping articles for publication and orchestrate distribution
2. Develop broad A&D expertise to act as a First Alert and support CSTs:
- Develop a deep understanding of the A&D knowledge terrain and become widely recognized within the firm as being the “point person” for A&D-related knowledge
- Serve as first alert on client support and ensure awareness and access to the documents, people, and information needed to successfully achieve engagement objectives
- Provide support to client service teams, helping to define the issues, apply the practice’s latest thinking and access the most appropriate practice resources
3. Clientele development/reputation building:
- Advance the reputation of the practice primarily through the targeted dissemination of papers and publications, high-quality events, media relations, relationships with external partner organizations, speeches and presentations
- Help to build a pro-active engagement strategy with key A&D relevant journalists and maintain an overview of the sector’s exposure to key media and other audiences
4. Governance Support & Administration:
- Manage the A&D knowledge budget
- Work with Regional Practice Teams on planning and organization of regional and global internal meetings
- Provide coaching and mentoring to knowledge professionals affiliated with the A&D practice
Previous work experience:
At least five years of professional experience is desirable, preferably in a strategy consulting firm or Industry player either as a consultant or knowledge professional.
Demonstrable passion for Aerospace & Defense is a must
An outstanding academic record, with a university degree from a well respected institution. An advanced degree (e.g., MA, MBA, MS, PhD) is preferred.
Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
Proven ability to think strategically
Strong process management skills, with a hands-on, action-oriented style
Ability to work and deal effectively with a diverse global group of McKinsey professionals, including senior consultants and partners
Superior people leadership and people development skills
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
Strong ability to form and share an own opinion
Good project management skills to lead and structure thinking and work, good abilities regarding multitasking
Proactive, with a strong entrepreneurial mindset
A non-hierarchical approach; the flexibility and ability to build consensus
Ability to adhere to the highest process standards and stand firm on decisions
Behavior that consistently supports the Firm's mission, values, and guiding principles
The role is not static, and this job description and our expectations are likely to change and evolve over time.
McKinsey & Company