Job title: Credit controller
Office location: London
Total reward package: Competitive
Hay Group employees all have something in common – they don’t believe in average, or ‘good enough’. They shake things up, question everything, and push themselves and others. We’re looking for the best people to join our team.
The job for you?
The Hay Group finance team is a professional, client-focused team, who are dedicated to improving the performance of the business, and to providing excellent support to internal and external customers. The team’s aims are to ensure that Hay Group’s financial transactions are recorded on an accurate and timely basis, assets are safeguarded, best accounting practices are complied with and current finance and taxation laws are followed. It seeks to perform these functions in a context which takes full account of Hay Group’s business needs and which promotes the efficiency of the business in every way.
Hay Group is seeking a credit controller to work in the finance team, to ensure timely collection of client receivables and maintain accurate debtor information to meet corporate cash collection target and to contribute to the overall processing and activities of the finance team in order to meet deadlines and timetables.
- To ensure timely collection of client receivables, including chasing outstanding invoices and posting cash in the finance system following set guidelines and polices to meet receivable targets.
- To obtain and file remittance advices and any other back up to receipts on a regular basis.
- To maintain and update the debtors database including comments to ensure accurate information is held on file.
- To resolve client and consultant receivable queries and liaise with team consultants/contacts through organised monthly review meetings to ensure information and responsibilities are clearly communicated.
- Provide regular feedback on client receivables to finance team management.
- To provide reports with comments on credit rating as required and communicate relevant receivables information to finance management and teams.
- To maintain receipts and payments’ cashbooks and prepare monthly journals (including BACS, CHAPS, transfers, etc.) including appropriate backing documentation to ensure accurate and up to date information at month end.
- To maintain records of cash balances on a daily basis for all bank accounts held.
- To send chaser letters on a fortnightly basis to debtors.
- To set up transfers between bank accounts and CHAPS payments through the JP Morgan banking system.
- Prepare monthly report confirming all live projects have required/suitable contracts in force.
- To collate incoming cheque receipts, prepare paying in slips and ensure prompt banking.
- To apply to HMRC for necessary Double Taxation and Witholding Tax by means of country specific forms/letters.
- Prepare suspense account reconciliations on a monthly basis and ensure follow up and resolution of reconciling items.
- To ensure that journals are submitted within the agreed deadlines and that all journals are posted to the general ledger on a timely basis.
- To provide back-up for the rest of the accounts receivable team as necessary to ensure full coverage of team responsibilities during absence.
- To assist the finance team management with various ad hoc projects.
Average monthly receivables: £6.5m
Average monthly number of outstanding invoices above £10k: 167
Average number of open projects: 1,800
Impact and influence
The role is mainly one of business support.
The role has the responsibility for chasing outstanding client invoices and therefore comes into contact with consultants, client accounts payable departments and business support on a regular basis.
Other activities, such as month end procedures must be performed in accordance with very tight deadlines to ensure strict internal and external deadlines are met.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- This role requires the ability to communicate well at all levels, mainly with consultants and client contacts.
- This role requires good attention to detail and excellent customer service skills, the individual must be a team player and be able and willing to learn and develop.
- This role requires good interpersonal skills, confidence in dealing with internal and external clients and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- The individual must be numerate and a basic understanding of accounting principles would be beneficial.
- Intermediate Excel skills are required.
- A working knowledge of Access would be beneficial, but is not essential.
Key relationships / customers
The role requires regular contact with external client accounts payable departments, consultants and business support.
The role requires regular interaction with the rest of the finance team.