Job title: Consultant
Total reward package: Competitive
Hay Group is a global consulting firm that works with leaders to transform strategy into reality. We develop talent, organise people to be more effective and motivate them to perform at their best. We work with over 7,000 clients around the world. Our clients are from private, public and not-for-profit sectors, across every major industry and represent diverse business challenges. Our focus is on making change happen and helping people and organisations realise their potential.
The job for you?
Hay Group Insight is a global leader in employee opinion research. Through the customised survey programmes we create we provide our clients with research-based diagnostic and consulting services to help them improve their business performance. We work closely with our clients to take action based on the results of our survey-based research and offer expertise in helping our clients to engage and motivate their people, attract and retain talent and improve operating efficiency.
As part of the team you will work in a supportive, dynamic and fast-paced environment with people who are committed to delivering excellent client service.
The overall purpose of the role is to support the wider Hay Group consultant team to deliver insights, support client efforts to take action on survey findings and serve as an advisor in helping clients engage and enable their workforce to drive high levels of performance and achieve desired business results. The role is focused on business outcomes rather than specific project outcomes. Role holders interact with stakeholders on our small- to mid-scale projects. The role is responsible for building and maintaining strong client relationships to retain clients, ensure future Hay Group Insight business, and identify new opportunities within the client for Hay Group Insight and other parts of Hay Group.
- Responsible for retaining existing clients by building strong relationships with client stakeholders (principally HR co-ordinators, survey champions, line managers) on our small- to mid-scale projects (£40k-100k).
- Gains an understanding of client’s business needs and strategic objectives and acts as an advisor
- Contributes to the development of client account plans
- Delivers insights and helps clients take action on survey findings
- Provides input on action planning and implementation initiatives for organisational improvement
- Works with more senior client advisory consultants to help clients link survey data to other business processes or initiatives
- Developing personal knowledge of specific sectors and stays up to date on key business issues
- Responsible for coordinating and collaborating with client and Hay Group Insight client delivery team; shares issues, communicates regularly and participates in meetings
- Takes a support role in conducting focus groups, interviews with junior or middle management and other stakeholders, supporting the development of questionnaires and insightful presentations
- Takes a support role in supporting Client Delivery team on some project management activities
- Participates in internal and external debrief at the end of the project
- Responsible for spotting opportunities for new business within client organisation by alerting other Hay Group consultant to client needs
- Looks for ways to offer other Insight and wider Hay Group services (by learning about other Hay Group offerings)
Contribute to continuous improvement of Insight practice and people development efforts
Role will typically independently deliver small- to medium projects (up to £100,000) as the support consultant to support more senior consultants on projects. This role might also play a role on much larger global, complex projects in a support consultant role.
This role has a sales target that is focused on repeat HGI business and the expansion of business within current HGI clients (expected 20% upsell per existing accounts).
Impact and influence
- Key client stakeholders (HR co-ordinators, survey champions and line managers)
- This role will influence Insight client delivery team members
- Insight colleagues within EMEA and globally
- This role involves consulting expertise, supporting more senior consultants and sharing knowledge to support learning of others
- Decision making responsibility/authority is on a project-by-project basis. The role will have shared responsibility for larger projects, and may have full accountability on small projects
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Background in Psychology preferred
- Engagement consulting experience required
- Survey research background, gained via an agency or in-house at a client
- Able to collaborate with others on all aspects of the survey project
- Has thorough understanding of key steps in survey cycle
- Experience of questionnaire design, data analysis and presentation writing and delivery experience
- Experience of stakeholder interviews and focus groups is an advantage, but not essential
- In-depth understanding of research methods and techniques to advise clients and direct internal teams
- Direct client contact experience. Ideal candidates will have experience of working with blue-chip clients at junior HR or management levels
- Ability to build rapport, building trust and maintaining the relationships
- Interest in business development, networking and marketing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills
- Adaptable and flexible approach
- Team player
- Confident, positive style, able to motivate team members
- Proactive and enthusiastic
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Fluency in a second language is an advantage but not essential – ideally French, Spanish or German
- Additional formal education (e.g. Masters) an advantage
Key relationships / customers
- External clients (HR co-ordinators, survey champions and line managers)
- Project managers
- Senior consultants
- Internal support departments (Finance, IT etc)
- Develops network with wider Hay Group consultants